Greek Style Lamb ShanksFrom upstatevoyager 5 years ago
- 4 lamb shanks (14 to 16 ounces each) shopping list
- 3 to 4 large cloves garlic, cut into slivers shopping list
- salt and coarse ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 sweet onions, sliced shopping list
- 3/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped shopping list
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 cup orzo pasta shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With paring knife, pierce lamb shanks and insert garlic slivers into meat (4 to 5 in each shank.)
- Sprinkle with generously with salt and pepper.
- Place shanks in roasting pan. Cover with onion slices and drizzle with oil.
- Roast 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle meat with oregano. Pour tomatoes and wine over.
- Roast an additional 45 minutes.
- Remove lamb from roasting pan and set aside.
- Add chicken stock to roasting pan and stir in orze.
- Place lamb shanks on top. Return to oven.
- Roast until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove pan and cover. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Arrange on serving platter.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
The Cookupstatevoyager Scotia, NY
The Rating2 people
This is a classic Greek standby called "Giouvetsi." And this is a very nice and straight forward version that anyone can do. It also happens to be my favorite meal. Good going Voyager!legoflamb in New York loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!