Dulce De Leche - For Non-cheatersFrom mystik 9 years ago
How to make it
- Add milk, sugar, and salt into a pot large enough that there are a few inches between the level of the milk and the top of the pot.
- If using vanilla, cut the vanilla pods lengthwise, scrape the seeds from the pods and add everything into the pot - this is the French version called "Confiture de Lait"
- Turn the heat to medium high, whisk or stir the mixture constantly until it comes to a full boil.
- Turn the heat down to barely simmer, and continue to cook, uncovered, for 3 hours.
- When the mixture gets to the desired consistency, remove the vanilla pods, and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into small jars and let cool. When it cools down completely, put the lid on the jars and keep in the fridge.
- NOTE: When in doubt, turn the heat lower. If the heat is to high your milk will boil over and develop a skin, which you won't be able to get rid of later. If the heat is too low you'll just have to cook it longer.
- ANOTHER NOTE: Check the consistency at about 2.5 hours. The consistency you are looking for is a loose caramel. It thickens a bit after cooling.
The Cookmystik Bradford, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!