Caribbean Chicken with Black Beans Sweet Potato LimeFrom batona 6 years ago
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or olive oil shopping list
- 1 white onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 sweet potato, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch chunks shopping list
- 4 teaspoons caribbean jerk seasoning OR blackened seasoning mix, divided shopping list
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 2 bay leaves OR 1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning shopping list
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast shopping list
- 1 lime shopping list
- 15 1/2 ounces black beans, rinsed shopping list
- salt, to taste shopping list
- Optional: Picapeppa Sauce, mango chutney, plain yogurt, chopped cilantro for garnishes shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. add oil, then onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in sweet potato. Sprinkle 2 tsps seasoning mix over the vegetables; cook for 1 minute. Add broth and bay leaves (or Old Bay), if using; simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tsp. seasoning mix over chicken; coat chicken with cooking spray. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat source until the chicken is just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. (Alternatively, cook in a ridged grill pan over medium heat or grill over medium coals.)
- Grate enough lime zest to measure 1/2 tsp.; cut lime into quarters (I skipped this and just squeezed a big squeeze of lime into the whole dish when it was done). Stir zest, black beans and salt into the sweet potato mixture. Continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender. If bay leaves have been used, discard them. Transfer the sweet potato-bean mixture to 4 plates; top with chicken and swerve with lime wedges. Garnish as desired.