Vegetable MinestroneFrom ravenseyes 9 years ago
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 small leeks, quartered shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, diced shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 small zucchini, quartered, then sliced shopping list
- 1 medium potato, peeled, then diced shopping list
- 8 cups water shopping list
- 1 cup Elbow or shell pasta shopping list
- 8 cups (2 quarts) swiss chard leaves, chopped shopping list
- 1 16-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper to Taste shopping list
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or basil, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- In a soup pot or large Dutch oven, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, and onions, and season with a bit of salt (about a half-teaspoon). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, zucchini, and potato. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the water and remaining teaspoon of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the dry pasta and Swiss chard to the soup and cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes. Add chickpeas and green peas, and continue to simmer until the pasta is cooked to the "al dente" stage. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and drizzle with remaining two tablespoons of olive oil, if desired. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley or basil. Serve immediately.