Shrimp Leek SoupFrom chihuahua 7 years ago
- 2 pounds medium-sized shrimp (6 per person), peeled, deveined and cleaned (If shrimp are frozen, defrost) shopping list
- 4 stalks leeks shopping list
- 2 quarts water shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- 1 tsp. curry powder (or to taste) shopping list
- 2 to 3 quarts chicken stock shopping list
- 1/2 C Half and Half (or milk) shopping list
- 4 Tbl. butter shopping list
- 6 Tbl. flour shopping list
- 1 Tbl. lemon juice (fresh) shopping list
How to make it
- Cut leeks into 1-inch pieces, discarding the tough, outside leaves and the ends of the stalk.
- In a large bowl of cold water, soak the leeks for at least 10 minutes until dirt has settled at the bottom. Remove leeks carefully, pour into a colander and rinse again.
- Bring the 2 quarts of water to a boil, add a little salt and leeks. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a 5-quart pot, heat the butter and add flour, stirring continuously to make a roux.
- Add curry powder.
- Add chicken stock and whisk vigorously until incorporated. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream slowly and keep stirring. (Once the cream is added, it can burn easily if burner is too high. Watch carefully.)
- Turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes. (Can be made ahead up to this point.)
- When ready to serve, add shrimp and leeks. Heat through, about 6 minutes. Add lemon juice. Test shrimp.
- Serve with French or Italian bread.