Tomato SauceFrom borinda 9 years ago
- 56 ounces of Italian crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 24 ounces of tomato paste shopping list
- fill the crushed tomato cans with water shopping list
- 1/4 ( more if need) extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 large cloves of garlic, or three medium ones shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper shopping list
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1 bunch basil leaves, about 1 cup off their stems, halved shopping list
- 2 ounces grated romano cheese shopping list
How to make it
- In a stockpot simmer the garlic and the dried pepper in the olive oil. Add a bit if needed to keep them moist and not brown, simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, sugar, and the basil.
- Heat to a boil and then turn down to slow simmer
- Sprinkle the cheese in and stir well so it melts as you stir instead of just sinking to the bottom and sticking to the pot.
- Stir this often.
- This will cook down and reduce.
- This freezes well, if it lasts that long.
People Who Like This Dish 23
The Cookborinda SoCal, CA
The Rating3 people
How long do you let it reduce down? I have made some Meatballs for Lasagne by Twohot to go into the sauce to cook.
Let's see if I can get you a picture in here. Meatballs cooking in your Tomato Sauce:Might have to dip some of the sauce out for another look.
Very well done Borinda. A flavorful sauce. It holds up to a slotted spoon well too:Dang! Wrong picture! But it's got your sauce on them. Don't know why this picture keeps disappearing.
- Not added to any groups yet!