Asparagus And Chicken CasseroleFrom addy 7 years ago
- 3 to 4 chicken breasts shopping list
- 1 15 oz can of asparagus, undrained (tips and pieces or whole. if whole, you will need to cut into pieces) shopping list
- 1 10.5 oz can of cream of mushroom soup shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice shopping list
- 1/3 cup sour cream (I use reduced fat sour cream) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1/3 cup lemon juice shopping list
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- cracker crumbs (I have used Ritz and wheat saltines--both are good) shopping list
- salt, coarse ground pepper, basil, oregano, parsley to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare rice according to package directions, but use half chicken broth (1 1/2 cups) and half water. season the rice with pinches of oregano, basil, parsley and salt.
- cut chicken into small pieces and add to a saute/frying pan. add the 1/3 cup lemon juice and enough water to almost cover the chicken. add some coarse ground black pepper (to taste) and cook over medium heat, letting it simmer uncovered until about half the liquid has evaporated, then cover and continue to cook until chicken is done. there should still be some liquid left in the pan.
- in a large bowl, mix the can of asparagus(water and all), the can of soup, the sour cream (add more for taste or extra creaminess), and 1/3 to 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (depends on how cheesy you like your casseroles. I always use about 1/3 cup).
- when the chicken and rice are done, add those to the bowl, adding also about 1/4 cup of the liquid mixture used to cook the chicken. you may also add another teaspoon of lemon juice to the mixture for added tang. stir well and add to a greased 9x13 casserole dish. top with shredded sharp cheddar and crushed cracker crumbs. Drizzle a little melted butter on top of the cracker crumbs.
- bake at 350 for approximately 25-35 minutes. The mixture will bubble at the the sides and the cheese will be fully melted and gooey.
The Cookaddy Lynchburg, VA
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!