Gems Country GravyFrom tnacndn 7 years ago
How to make it
- Start by putting the oil in a BIG skillet, I use an iron skillet but you can use any kind.
- Heat the oil on high for a minute or so until hot then turn down the heat to medium and add a little flour.
- Stir real well to get out the lumps,you want this mixture to be a little thick but not real thick.
- If there is too much oil showing add a little more flour.
- If it gets to thick while frying just add a little more oil.
- Fry, stirring almost constantly until mixture gets good and brown but be careful not to burn.
- When you get the mixture browned good start adding the evaporated milk and water (combined before heating the oil) a little at a time.
- Stir and as the gravy starts to boil keep adding the evapoared milk.
- If the gravy is still too thick and you have put in all the evaporated milk and water mixture add some sweet milk until you get a good consistency then let the mixture come to a soft boil and this whole time keep stirring.
- Cook for a couple of minutes with this soft boil then pour into a big serving bowl.
- This will take practice and you may burn a batch or two but the final results will be great tasteing.
- Add salt and pepper to tase after you get the biscuits crumbled in.
- If you think the gravy is still to thick you can add a little milk to thin it out while it is in the serving bowl, just stir very well before serving.
People Who Like This Dish 27
The Cooktnacndn Jasper, TN
The Rating6 people
Sounds great, bet if you added some browned breakfast sausage, it would be awesome. Thanks for sharing.henrie in Savannah loved it
MMMMMMMMMMMM... sounds good... I could see adding some Neese's spicy sausage to this..thank gem... djwolfpackjack in Raleigh loved it