Pear and fig jamFrom foxc 7 years ago
- 1 lemon shopping list
- 1kg figs shopping list
- 3 (about 600g) pears, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1.6kg jam setting sugar shopping list
- 1 cinnamon quill shopping list
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised shopping list
- muslin shopping list
- 375g puff pastry block, thawed shopping list
- icing sugar shopping list
- pinch ground cinnamon shopping list
- whipped cream shopping list
How to make it
- Peel 4 large strips of peel from the lemons and juice; set aside
- Wash and dry the figs and remove the stems, half or quarter figs if they are large.
- Combine lemon juice, figs, pears and sugar in a large heavy based saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved a little.
- Tie spices and lemon strips in a small piece of muslin and add to the fig mixture.
- Bring to a rapid boil and boil hard (a rolling boil) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and boil gently for 20-30 minutes.
- Test setting point by dropping a teaspoon of the jam onto a cold saucer. Leave 30 seconds or until it comes to room temperature and push the jam gently with your finger. If it wrinkles slightly then it has reached the setting point.
- Remove muslin bag pour into sterilised jars.
- To sterilise the jars, either place in a 140°C oven for 25 minutes. Or plunge into boiling water and dry upside on a clean tea towel.
- To serve jam, slice puff pastry into thin slices. Roll out lightly and dust in combined icing sugar and cinnamon mix. Cook 1-2 minutes each side in a dry frying pan until golden and crisp.
- Makes 3 x 375 ml jars