My Best Friends CaponataFrom silentwriter 5 years ago
- 2-3 pounds eggplant (chopped) shopping list
- 1 tbs sugar shopping list
- 2 tbs green olives (whole) or (chopped) shopping list
- 2 tbs or more of black olives shopping list
- 3 tbs olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup onions (chopped) shopping list
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped or diced) shopping list
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce (your own) or Hunts shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Heat olive oil (I use) Virgin not light in saucepan with eggplant and saute for at least 10 minutes or until tender, DO NOT OVERCOOK as you do not want the eggplant to become mushy! Remove eggplant and set aside.
- Add another 2 tbs of olive oil to the pan, add onions,and celery sauting them. DO NOT OVER COOK, only cook till they are tender.
- Drain all of the above. Leave some oiive oil in the pan and add the tomator sauce, salt & peper and put the eggplant back into the pan with the above ingredients. Simmer a few more minutes.
- Remove from pan, add the green and black olives with the sugar into a bowl with all of the above ingredients.
- Put the bowl into the refrigerator so that it can marinate for at least a few hours as it tastes much better when served cold or at room temperature.
- A great side dish for any kind of meal but especially good with an Italian dinner and a wonderful peace of good Italian bread!