Lebanese Cheese JibinFrom jimrug1 9 years ago
How to make it
- In a non reactive heavy saucepan, heat milk to lukewarm.
- Crush Rennet or Junket Tablet and dissolve in 2 Tbls cold water.
- Add to milk and stir very well. Remove from heat, cover and wrap in blanket or large bath towel. Leave in warm place for 2 -4 hours or until set.
- When mixture congeals, break up with hands and pour off as much of the "whey" as possible.
- Take some of the curd in your hands and press lightly to drain out the liquid. Form a cheese pattie (about the size of a small hamburger.) Repeat until you have used up all the curd.
- If cheese is to be served fresh (within 3 days) or marinated in oil w/ spices, do not salt. Place in a storage container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To Store:
- Salt the top of each pattie, cover patties with plastic cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Make a brine using 2Qts water and 1/2 cup pickling salt. Bring to a boil for 5 mins then let cool. If necessary, cut patties in to halves or quarters to fit in jars.
- Pack into sterilized jars, cover with brine and seal.
- To Serve: Soak in water for an hour or more so to remove salt. Serve for breakfast, lunch or meze before dinner with pita.
The Cookjimrug1 Peoria, IL
The Rating5 people
At last I find the tablet's name.... I love this cheese, we have one similar... Thanks for the post!berry in Winter Park loved it
I have always wanted to try this process. Thanks for explaining it so well. Jim...you are just a wealth of information and good recipes!lunasea in Orlando loved it
What a difference it is to make your own cheese and then serve it to guest and be able to say I made that incredible cheese.
I am grateful for the brining recipe included here I never got to brine mine it is a nice addition.
Five forks and...moretrigger in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!