Butter Rum Pound CakeFrom courtbot 6 years ago
- 1 cup butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup shortening shopping list
- 3 cups sugar shopping list
- 5 large eggs shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 cup whole milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup dark rum (you could replace this with milk+ extra vanilla if not using rum) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional, but if not icing this cake, the pecans sort of crystalize with the glaze, delicious!) shopping list
- rum glaze shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 1/4 cup rum (Or you can use a little extra water and some vanilla) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease 29x13"pans(or entire 12-cup tube pan) .
- In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, rum and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
- Bake 30-40 minutes (1 hour and 10-15 minutes if in tube pan) or until toothpick inserted into center comes clean.
- Pierce top of cakes 10-15 times with a thin skewer. Pour Rum Glaze over hot cake.
- Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, invert onto wire rack and let cool completely. Serve cake pecan side up.
- Rum Glaze:
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved