Shrimp and Okra EtouffeeFrom dixiediner 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice shopping list
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon canola or corn oil shopping list
- 1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 medium rib of celery, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sliced okra shopping list
- 2 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 2 teaspoons Creole or cajun seasoning blend shopping list
- 1 pound peeled medium raw shrimp shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the brown rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the flour over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels. Heat the skillet over medium heat. Pour the oil into the skillet and swirl to coat the bottom. Cook the bell pepper, onion, and celery for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender crisp.
- Stir in the okra. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes (4 to 5 minutes if using frozen), or until the okra is tender crisp.
- Whisk the broth into the flour (there may be a few lumps). Stir the broth mixture and Creole seasoning into the vegetable mixture. Bring to a simmer occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the flavors have blended.
- Stir in the shrimp. Simmer, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink on the outside and opaque in the center.
- To serve, spoon the rice into each bowl. Ladle the shrimp mixture over each serving.
The Cookdixiediner MS
The Rating2 people
I Like Food83 members
Good To Freeze129 members
Comfort Foods775 members
Back To Basics347 members
Eat Light Healthy457 members
Southern Essentials226 members
Southern Cooks561 members
Fish And Seafood308 members
Maritime Foodies8 members
Good Down Home Southern Food196 members