Spinach with Raisins and Pine NutsFrom greekgirrrl 7 years ago
- 5 to 6 tablespoons golden or dark raisins shopping list
- 2 packages (each 10 ounces) fresh spinach or 2 medium-size bunches fresh spinach, tough stems discarded shopping list
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fragrant extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 6 to 8 whole small peeled garlic cloves, lightly smashed shopping list
- 5 tablespoons pine nuts shopping list
- coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Place the raisins in a small bowl, add very hot water to cover, and soak until plump, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels, then set aside.
- Rinse but do not drain the spinach. Place the spinach in a large saucepan over medium heat and cover the pan. Cook the spinach until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes, stirring a few times. Transfer the spinach to a colander, and squeeze out the excess moisture by pressing on the spinach with the back of a spoon. Chop the spinach coarsely. (The spinach can be prepared a few hours ahead up to this point.)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok over low heat. Add the garlic, pine nuts, and soaked raisins, and cook until the nuts and the garlic are light golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium, add the chopped spinach, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring to combine evenly. Season with salt and pepper to taste, transfer to a serving bowl, and serve.