Rogan Josh Lamb curryFrom mareelouise 5 years ago
- 5 cm (2 inches) knob of ginger peeled and coarsely chopped shopping list
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled shopping list
- 4 tbsp + 300 (10 fl oz) water shopping list
- 10 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 900g cubed lamb shopping list
- 10 cardamom pods shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 6 cloves shopping list
- 10 peppercorns shopping list
- 2.5 cm (inch) cinnamon stick shopping list
- 200g onions, peeled and finely chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp. ground coriander shopping list
- 2 tsp ground cumin shopping list
- 4 tsp. paprika shopping list
- ¼ to 1 tsp of cayenne pepper (depending how hot you like it- I use a full tsp) shopping list
- 1 ¼ tsp salt shopping list
- 6 tbsp natural yoghurt shopping list
- ¼ tsp garam masala shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Use a barmix to blend the ginger garlic and 4 tbsps of water into a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over medium-high heat.
- Brown the meat in batches and set aside.
- Put the cardamom pods, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon into the oil and stir.
- Add the onions- stir fry for around 5 minutes or until the onions are a medium brown colour.
- Put in the garlic-ginger paste and stir for 30 secs.
- Then add the coriander, cumin, paprika, cayenne and salt. Stir and fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add the meat with all the juices, mix well so its coated with the paste in the pan. Now add in 1 tbsp of yoghurt- mix well- and gradually add the rest of the yoghurt. Stir and fry for around 3 minutes.
- Now add 300 ml water- bring to the boil, scraping all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan into the sauce.
- Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for an hour- stirring every 10 minutes.
- If there is still liquid left after an hour, turn to high and boil off as desired- the sauce should be nice and thick.
- Spoon off the fat.
- Sprinkle with garam masala and black pepper and mix them in before serving.
- Ideal with rice.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookmareelouise Melbourne, AU
The Rating1 people
Made this for the evening meal - with basmati rice and Becs Easy Dahl Recipe. It was brilliant! :)virtualsteve in Wagga Wagga loved it