Classic Corned BeefFrom divaliscious 9 years ago
- 5-6 pounds corned beef shopping list
- 4 large onions, outer skin removed, each cut into large wedges shopping list
- 10 carrots, peeled shopping list
- 2 ribs celery, cleaned shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 bunch parsley, cleaned shopping list
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1 medium green cabbage shopping list
- 12-14 small new potatoes, scrubbed shopping list
- kosher salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns shopping list
How to make it
- In a large heavy-bottomed stockpot, combine the beef, 2 onions, 2 carrots, the celery, bay leaves, parsley and peppercorns.
- Add enough cold water to cover the beef by 3 inches and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, turning 2 to 3 times.
- Cook until the beef is very tender, almost shredding when speared with a fork.
- Remove the meat from the pot and strain the broth into a large bowl. Discard the solids and return the meat and the strained broth to the pot.
- Add the mustard, remaining onions, carrots, cabbage and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 50-60 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Season the broth with salt and pepper if needed.
- Slice the beef into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Surround the meat with the vegetables, served whole. The broth should be served on the side with a ladle.
- Make sure to have deep plates with a lip so lots of broth can be poured over the meat and vegetables, or use shallow bowls.
- Serve with a warm loaf of country bread.
- To Make Horseradish Sauce:
- 1 c. heavy cream, whipped until thick
- 6 to 8 tbsp. prepared horseradish, drained (adjust amount for hotness)
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise (optional)
- Fold horseradish into whipped cream add mayonnaise. Chill until served. This sauce does not keep well, so make just enough to use at one serving.
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!