Palak GoshtFrom atariq123 6 years ago
- 2 lbs frozen spinach shopping list
- 1-1/2 lbs lamb/ goat meat shopping list
- 2 tsp garlic paste shopping list
- 1/2 medium onion shopping list
- 2 medium tomatoes shopping list
- 2 tsp coriander powder shopping list
- 1 tsp garam masala powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder shopping list
- 1 tsp cumin seeds shopping list
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger root shopping list
- 1 tsp coriander seeds whole shopping list
- 1/3 cup oil shopping list
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder or to taste shopping list
- 1 tsp salt or to taste shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
How to make it
- Bring 2 qts of water to a boil in a large pan and add frozen spinach. Boil spinach for 20 minutes. Cool. Drain reserving a cup of water. Put this water and spinach in a blender and slightly blend to a thick paste. Do not over blend. Set aside. You can use immersion blender if available, move up and down three times.
- Heat oil in a pan and pop cumin seeds about 1 min. Add onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic paste fry for another minute or so. Add all dry spices and fry for 2 minutes. Into this add tomatoes and fry for almost 10 minutes. Do not let this burn. Sprinkle water if needed.
- Add lamb/ goat meat and brown the meat, about 5-7 minutes. Add water and cook until the meat is tender about 30 minutes. If you are using a pressure cooker use only one cup of water and let cook for about 10 minutes once the whistle starts.
- If there is any water left cook it off, while still frying the meat. Once the water evaporates and the oil separates add the spinach paste, mix well, bring to a boil. Do not add more water.
- Turn the heat to medium/ medium-low and let simmer for almost an hour. Stir occasionally taking care that the curry does not burn until the spinach is well cooked and the oil separates. Garnish with thinly sliced fresh ginger and serve with pita or roti.