Vegan lentil tacosFrom richcrisler 6 years ago
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed shopping list
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce shopping list
- corn tortillas (I use white corn tortillas) shopping list
- 1 packet dry taco seasoning mix (if none available, recipe follows) shopping list
- handful of textured soy protein, optional shopping list
- iceberg lettuce (shredded) shopping list
- cucumber (seeded, peeled, sliced) shopping list
- tomatoes (chopped) shopping list
- lemon or lime wedges (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Cover the lentils with water in a large saucepan. They expand tremendously so use a large pot. Add tomato sauce, textured soy protein, and taco seasoning. If none is available that is vegan, use 1 tsp. each: cumin, garlic salt, paprika, onion powder, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Bring to high heat until boiling. Simmer at low heat until the mixture thickens. Add more water if necessary and stir often so that the bottom does not burn. This process will take about an hour. You want to cook it until its about the consistency of cooked oatmeal. Taste the mixture and add more seasonings if necessary. Add more textured soy protein if you want more texture and continue to heat until the textured soy protein is fully hydrated. In the meantime, heat the corn tortillas in the oven, directly on the oven rack for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees. Assemble the tacos as desired. Squeeze the lemon wedges over the tacos... yum!!
- This recipes makes a large quantity and is very flexible with the garnishes. Experiment by adding chopped avocado, cilantro, onion, etc. I prefer these without salsa since the taco filling has so much flavor on its own.