Cream Cheese-banana-nut BreadFrom magb48 7 years ago
- 11/4 cups chopped pecans, divided shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter, softened shopping list
- 1(8oz.) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 11/2 cups whole wheat flour shopping list
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 11/s cups mashed very ripe bananas(11/4 lb. unpeeled bananas, about 4 medium shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 3/4 cupu pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring after 6 minutes.
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer
- until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine whole wheat flour and next 4 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in bananas, 3/4 cup toasted pecans, and vanilla. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8-by 4-inch loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 pecans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and sides of bread pull away from pan, shielding with aluminum foil during last 15 comments to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool bread in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks. Let cool 30 minutes.
- NOTE: To make ahead, proceed with recipe as directed through step 4 Cool loaves completely, and tightly wrap with plastic wrap. Wrap again with aluminum foil. Freeze up to 1 month!
- ICING RECIPE: Stir together 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp. orange zest, and 2 tbsp. fresh orange juice to drizzle over warm cream cheese-banana-nut bread.
- To get good slices let the bread cool 30 min. and then cut with a serrated or electric knife.
- There are 3 variations to the lightened banana-nut breads that is reduced -fat cream cheese beaten with a little butter for moist bite every time....They are: TOASTED COCONUT-CREAM CHEESE-BANANA-NUT BREAD, CINNAMON-CREAM CHEESE-BANANA-NUT BREAD, AND PEANUT BUTTER-CREAM CHEESE-BANANA-NUT BREAD. These recipes are listed in Southern Living magazine and the CREAM CHEESE BANANA NUT BREAD is used as a starting point for these tasty combinations. Will try to list later if time permits!
- MY NOTE: WHEN THAWING LET IT COMPLETELY THAW IN PLASTIC AND ALUMINUM WRAP BEFORE SERVING AND IT WILL BE JUST LIKE OUT OF OVEN WHEN YOU START TO CUT. ENJOY!!