Muscadine JellyFrom cajunspices66 6 years ago
How to make it
- Take off the stems and wash Muscadines in a large pot. Rinse several times. Then mash the Muscadines and fill pot with water just about 2 inches covering over them.
- Simmer for 25 minutes. Pour the juice into another pot through a colander to catch the seeds and skins. Strain through cheesecloth back into the original pot. Heat to boiling. Boil juice for 5 minutes and then add the sugar.
- Turn down heat to a simmer and cook until it reaches 220 degrees F on a candy thermometer. "This took me around 30 minutes. The directions on the pectin will tell you how to test it.
- Skim off the foam. I had my jelly jars already washed and sterilized in another pot filled with hot water. You should sterilize jelly containers in boiling water for 10 minutes before using them. Then keep the containers hot in hot water until you use them. This will keep them from breaking when you fill them with hot jelly. In another small pot there was the lids and seals in hot water. Pour the juice into the jars with a funnel. Put the seals and then the lids on. I wiped the edges of the jar tops with a damp, hot paper towel.
- Process your jelly for 15 minutes in boiling water. Allow 2 to 4 inches of water above jar tops for brisk boiling - just enough for the water to cover the tops of jars and have space to boil freely. Then carefully remove the jars and place them on a towel out of a draft.
- IF YOU EVER TAKE THE TIME TO MAKE YOUR OWN CANNED JELLY, I PROMISE YOU WILL BE WILLING TO DO IT OVER AGAIN AND AGAIN. ITS WORTH THE TIME!
The Cookcajunspices66 Pineville, LA
The Rating2 people
My muscadines are coming in by the basket full! This recipe is worth the effort! My neighbor's son says it's the best jelly he's ever tasted!
Wake Forest, NCGalleywench in Wake Forest loved it
Ohhhh, yeahhhh, this is the real stuff! We love muscadines and scuppernongs. Have you ever had golden muscadine juice mixed with Sprite? Whhoooee. I'll make some of this jelly as soon as I get some muscadines!sweetwords in Raleigh loved it