Deep Chocolate Cake With Double-malt ToppingFrom cheric 6 years ago
- 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 2/3 cup butter, softened shopping list
- 1 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled shopping list
- 2 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups milk shopping list
- 1 recipe chocolate Malt frosting (follows) shopping list
- 2 cups malted milk balls or miniature malted milk balls shopping list
How to make it
- Grease three 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pans; lightly dust each pan with 1 tsp of the cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, remaining cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each. Beat in chocolate and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating on low speed until thoroughly combined.
- Divide batter into prepared pans; spread evenly. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans. Trasnfer to wire racks; cool completely. Prepare the Chocolate Malt Frosting.
- To assemble cake, spread 1/4 cup of frosting on tops of two of the layers and stack. Add top layer; frost the top and sides of the cake, reserving some frosting for the piping. Place the remaining frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a medium round tip. Starting from the bottom, pipe a zigzag pattern on sides and top edge of cake. If desired, coarsely chop or halve some of the malted milk balls. Decorate the cake with milk balls. Refrigerate.
- Chocolate Malt Frosting:
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat bring 2 cups whipping cream just to boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/3 cup malt powder. Add two 11.5-ounce packages milk chocolate pieces (do not stir). Cover, let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Mixture will be thin. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours or until frosting is thoroughly chilled.
- Set bowl of frosting in a larger bowl of ice water. Beat frosting with an electric mixer on medium speed about 3 minutes or until fluffy and of spreading consistency. (The frosting will turn light brown with beating).
The Cookcheric Oklahoma City, OK
The Rating2 people
Malted milk balls are one of my favorite candies! I used to go to this old fashioned ice cream parlor in Gatlinburg when I was little, and get chocolate malts every time! I cannot wait to make this cake. I know it will be fabulous!sparow64 in Sweetwater loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!