Wild Rice SaladFrom pascale 9 years ago
- 1 cup wild rice shopping list
- 3 cups slightly salted boiling water (you may substitute vegetable or chicken stick for a richer taste) shopping list
- 1/4 cup good extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1-1 1/4 cup toasted pinenuts shopping list
- 1-1 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds (I use tamari roasted or spicy tamari roasted ones) shopping list
- 1-1 1/4 cup dried tart Montmorency cherries (available at Trader Joe's or substitute dried cranberries if you can't find them) shopping list
- 3-4 tbs finely chopped fresh chives shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Wash the rice thoroughly; then strain in a strainer.
- Add the rice to rapidly boiling water in a heavy saucepan.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 35 to 50 minutes or until the kernels just pop open.
- Uncover, fluff the rice and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Strain any excess liquid.
- Place the rice in a bowl in the refrigerator to cool.
- Finely chop the chives.
- When the rice has cooled, add enough extra virgin olive oil to coat the rice. You want to be generous, but the result should not be greasy.
- Mix in the pinenuts, pumpkin seeds and dried tart cherries
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.