Turkey EmpanaditasFrom hayleesgrandma 8 years ago
- Filling: shopping list
- cooking spray shopping list
- 12 ounces ground turkey breast shopping list
- 2 teaspoons chili powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1 (6-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste shopping list
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese shopping list
- Dough: shopping list
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (about 13 1/2 ounces) shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 3/4 cup ice water shopping list
How to make it
- To prepare filling, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add turkey; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in chili powder, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring often. Stir in 1/2 cup water and tomato paste. Cook 2 minutes or until turkey mixture thickens. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Place in a bowl, and cool to room temperature; cover and chill 30 minutes.
- To prepare dough, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until combined. Add chilled butter; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, add 3/4 cup ice water through the food chute, processing just until combined (do not form a ball). Turn the dough out onto a floured surface; knead lightly 4 times with floured hands.
- Divide the dough into 24 portions. Working with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining portions to keep dough from drying), roll into a 3 1/2-inch circle on a floured surface. Spoon 1 rounded tablespoon turkey mixture onto half of circle. Fold dough over filling; press edges together to seal. Place on a large baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and filling. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze until firm. Place in zip-top plastic bags; freeze for up to 3 months.
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Place frozen empanaditas on 2 baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown and tops begin to brown. Serve warm.