Ham And Bean SoupFrom laurakaay 7 years ago
- 1 pound dry great Northern shopping list
- beans shopping list
- 8 cups water shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 ham hock shopping list
- 1 cup chopped carrots shopping list
- 1 small celery heart chopped with leaves shopping list
- 1 medium onion chopped shopping list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic shopping list
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme (remove leaves) shopping list
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary shopping list
- 2 cups chopped ham shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse the beans, sorting out any broken or discolored ones.
- In a large pot over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the salt and the beans and remove from heat. Let beans sit in the hot water for at least 60 minutes.
- After the 60 minutes of soaking, return the pot to high heat and place the ham bone, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, mustard, bay leaves, rosemary and thyme in the pot.
- Stir well, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 60 more minutes.
- Remove ham bone and discard.
- Stir in the chopped ham and simmer for 30 more minutes.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Season with ground pepper to taste and serve with warm corn bread.