Vegetable Yaki SobaFrom mystic75 8 years ago
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked for 30 minutes in cold water shopping list
- 8 ounces vegetable-flavoured somen noodles shopping list
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 11/2 cups finely shredded Napa (Chinese) cabbage shopping list
- 8 spinach leaves, shredded shopping list
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned shopping list
- 1 small daikon (icicle radish), peeled and julienned shopping list
- 1 tablespoon very finely shredded fresh ginger shopping list
- 6 ounces fresh bean sprouts shopping list
- 1 while scallion, very finely sliced shopping list
- 1/4 cup Japanese tonkatsu sauce shopping list
- To make tokatsu sauce : Boil 2 tablespoons mirin ( Japanese sweet rice wine) until reduced by half. stir in 2 tablespoons ketchup, 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon tamari or light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon mustard, and sugar to taste. Heat briefly, then allow to cool. Store in the refrigerator. Makes 2/3 cup shopping list
How to make it
- Drain the mushrooms and squeeze out excess water, then trim the stems and finely shred the caps.
- Bring 1 quart of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for about 3 minutes, until barely tender, and drain well.
- Heat half the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat and stir-fry the mushrooms, carrot, spinach, cabbage and radish until barely tender, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in another pan over high heat and saute the noodles for 11/2 minutes. Add ginger and saute a further 45 seconds.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the noodles along with the bean sprouts and scallions and cook for 1 minute on high heat, mixing thoroughly. Add the tonkatsu sauce, heat well, and stir to distribute the sauce evenly through the noodles.