BaklavaFrom brilynn 10 years ago
- 1 ½ cups shelled pistachios shopping list
- ¾ cup almonds shopping list
- ¾ cup walnuts shopping list
- 1 T ground cardamom shopping list
- 2/3 cup butter, melted shopping list
- 1 ¼ cups confectioners’ sugar shopping list
- 18 sheets phyllo pastry shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1 ¼ cups water shopping list
- 2 T orange blossom water shopping list
How to make it
- First you will make a simple syrup by combining the 2 cups of sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the orange blossom water and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 325F. In a food processor, combine all of the nuts and pulse until lightly ground. Add the confectioners’ sugar and cardamom and pulse again to combine.
- Brush a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with melted butter. Using one sheet of phyllo pastry at a time, (and keeping the rest covered with a damp towel) layer 6 sheets of phyllo into the pan, brushing each one with butter after you lay it down. Pour half of the nut mixture on top of the phyllo and press it down evenly. Continue to layer 6 more sheets of phyllo, brushing with butter between each one. Pour the rest of the nuts on top of the phyllo and repeat the layering process one more time, using up your remaining 6 sheets of phyllo. Pour any leftover butter over the top. Cut the pastry diagonally into small bars using a sharp knife, (it’s easier to do this before the pastry is baked as it is softer at this point).
- Bake for 20 min and then increase oven temperature to 400F. Bake for 15 more minutes until golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with the orange flower blossom syrup. Let stand about an hour so that the syrup can be soaked up. Remove from the pan and try not to eat them all in one sitting.
The Cookbrilynn Toronto, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!