Cheesy Baked Grits Casserole VegetarianFrom dottiet 7 years ago
- 4 cups low fat milk shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided) shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked quick cooking grits shopping list
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded parmesean cheese shopping list
- 1/2 teaspooon black pepper shopping list
- 5 large egg whites shopping list
- 6 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives (or green onions) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons butter (melted) shopping list
- coooking spray shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine milk, water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil.
- Add grits, stirring with a whisk.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, cheese and pepper. Cool 5 minutes.
- Place remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and egg whites in a large bowl and beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold grits into the egg whites and add the chives.
- Spoon mixture into a 13x9" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top the grits with the melted butter.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Yields 8 servings (approx 1 cup.)
- 220 cal. 6.7g fat.
- Note: To save time, cook grits the night before, adding the seasoning and cheese. Cover and refrigerate. In the morning, beat the egg whites and finish assembling the casserole.
- Serve with fried eggs and vegetarian sausage or bacon.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookdottiet Woodward, OK
The Rating3 people
yeah grits is a definite for breakfast, Sauage and Egss too please. Ha Gotta love it.momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
This recipe sounds just great. I'm with momo_55grandma though, throw a few sausages and eggs along side. Ohhh yes. Love your cheesy approach. I'm a cheese adict, so I'll have to try this recipe in the near future. Thanks for saharing this recipe.trev in Bogangar loved it