Traditional German Pumpernickel BreadFrom jo_jo_ba 8 years ago
How to make it
- Lightly grease two loaf pans and set aside.
- Combine the rye flour, whole-wheat flour, bulgur wheat and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix molasses with the warm water and vegetable oil.
- Add liquids to the flour mixture and combine to form a dense dough. Kneading isn't necessary!
- Divide dough between the two prepared pans, pressing it into the corners and leveling the top. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for 24 - 48 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 225 F.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the pans, then cover them tightly with aluminum foil.
- Fill a deep pan 3/4 full with boiling water and place on lower rack of your oven.
- Place covered loaf pans on the top rack, and bake 4 hours.
- Raise the oven temperature to 325 F.
- Uncover the loaves and add more water to the pan below them if needed.
- Bake for another 40 minutes or until the loaves are firm crusty.
- Let cool in the pans for a few minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Wrap tightly in plastic and let “cure” at room temperature for 24 hours.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!