Cinco de Mayo Coconut CustardFrom hottamale 6 years ago
- 1/2 c. sugar shopping list
- 1/2 c. water shopping list
- 3" long cinnamon stick, broken up shopping list
- 3 & 1/2 oz. flaked coconut shopping list
- 3 c. milk shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 1/4 t. vanilla shopping list
- 1/2 c. whipping cream shopping list
- 2 T. sliced almonds for garnish shopping list
- Sliced mango and banana for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Simmer sugar, water and cinnamon for 10 min.
- Strain and discard the cinnamon pieces.
- Add coconut to mixture and cook, uncovered about 5 min. or until the syrup is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Stir in 2 1/2 c. of the milk and cook until mixture is hot.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the remaining milk.
- Temper the eggs by slowly stirring in about 1 c. of the hot milk mixture while stirring constantly. Pour it all back into the saucepan.
- Cook and stir until mixture thickens but do not boil.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into individual serving dishes & chill until firm.
- Whip the cream (sweeten with a bit of powdered sugar & vanilla if desired) and top the custard with the whipped cream.
- Garnish with almonds and slices of fresh mango and banana if desired.