Grilled Banana Splits with Coffee Ice Cream and Mocha SauceFrom mystic_river1 8 years ago
- FOUR hours MACERATING shopping list
- 2 quarts plus 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 cup light brown sugar shopping list
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken shopping list
- 3 star anise pods shopping list
- 1/2 cup dark rum shopping list
- 8 firm, ripe bananas shopping list
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped shopping list
- turbinado sugar, for dredging shopping list
- 3 pints coffee ice cream shopping list
- whipped cream and chopped nuts, for serving shopping list
- directions shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 quarts of the water with the brown sugar, cinnamon sticks and star anise and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat. Add the rum and bananas and let stand for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, whisk the remaining 1 cup of water with the granulated sugar, cocoa powder and espresso powder and bring to a boil. Whisk in the cream and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 40 minutes. Stir in the chocolate until melted. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- Light a grill. Drain the bananas and pat dry with paper towels. Put the turbinado sugar in a shallow bowl. Cut each banana in half lengthwise; dip each half in the sugar to coat evenly. Grill the bananas over a hot fire until they are richly caramelized, about 1 minute per side.
- Transfer 2 banana halves to each of 8 bowls. Place 3 scoops of ice cream in each split banana and top with 1/4 cup of the mocha sauce. Dollop whipped cream over the splits, top with the nuts and serve.
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating5 people
Wow! It sounds delicious Joymarie! Caramelized bananas...marinated in the rum...I will try it soon! I say in France it's my 'péché mignon'! It means it's my irresitible delicacy! Have a great day!pariscipes in Paris&Lyon loved it
thanks Joymarie, this is a more delicate version, a gourmet one,
Magalimagali777 in Mexico loved it
Sounds like a great treat!nlo209 in Toronto loved it