BHG Lemon-lime barsFrom mccookcook 8 years ago
- 2/3 cup butter, softened shopping list
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar shopping list
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided shopping list
- 4 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel shopping list
- 6 eggs shopping list
- 2-1/4 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup lemon juice shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp. finely shredded lime peel shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. sifted powdered sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare Candied Citrus Slices, (see recipe below), if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with heavy foil (I forgot to do this and they still turned out fine...but it would make them easier for cutting) set aside.
- To make the crust, in large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. (I just creamed the butter and the brown sugar together...I guess I get too impatient when baking and try to skip as many steps as possible).
- Beat in 2 cups of the flour until crumbly. Stir in 2 teaspoons of the lemon peel. Evenly press on bottom of prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in medium bowl combine eggs, granulated sugar, remaining 1/2 cup flour, lemon juice, and baking powder. (The original recipe calls for nutmeg, but I hate it and don't keep it on hand...if you want to add a 1/2 teaspoon, I guess you can).
- Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining lemon peel (OOPS....yet another instruction that I missed...I put all the lemon peel in the crust, so I put a little extra lime peel in the filling) and the lime peel. Pour over hot crust. Bake 20 minutes more or until edges are browned and center appears set.
- Remove to rack; cool 1 hour. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours ( I couldn't wait this long...I had to go to work and I HAD to take these with me....so mine only sat in the fridge about 20 minutes!)
- To serve, sprinkle evenly with powdered sugar. Lift from pan using foil; cut into bars. Add Candied Citrus Slices, if desired. Store, covered, in refrigerator up to 3 days. Makes 16 to 20 bars (I cut mine into 24 bars....12 for work and 12 for home...and they were the perfect size...just right...not too big, not too small)
- Candied Citrus Slices: In large skillet combine 1/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar; bring to boiling. Add 2 lemons or 10 key limes, thinly sliced. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 1 to 2 minutes or until just softened. Transfer to rack; cool. (This is a really messy project, so if you aren't into messing up your kitchen, make sure you put foil under your cooling racks OR if you really just don't want to deal with the whole sticky mess, skip this process...All it really does is make the bars look prettier).
People Who Like This Dish 10
- IBake4Sustenance Whereabouts, Unknown
- bluewaterandsand GAFFNEY, SC
- ladyreneer Ooltewah, TN
- anetamar Winnipeg, CA
- pinkpasta Upstate, SC
- strix_varia Louisville, KY
- clbacon Birmingham, AL
- minitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
- jeffsgirl Medford, OR
- mizzgreeneyez2001 Brooklyn Park, MN
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookmccookcook Indianola, NE
The Rating3 people
Delicious and easy!
A great way to use up some of the lemon juice I had in the freezer after last lemon season, thank you! I will be making more!IBake4Sustenance in Whereabouts loved it
I get that magazine every month so I saw the recipe and we tried it. It was good.bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
gotta try them i love and lime and together they have to be great right thanksminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!