Penne with Eggplant White Beans and Tomato SauceFrom mystic_river1 8 years ago
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 12 oz. dried penne pasta shopping list
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (1 3/4 oz.), toasted shopping list
- 15- to 19-oz. can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained, or 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups cooked cannellini beans shopping list
- 28-oz. can whole plum (Italian-style) tomatoes, drained shopping list
- 2 Tbs. olive oil shopping list
- 4 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes shopping list
- 3/4 lb. eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups) shopping list
How to make it
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, pass tomatoes through a food mill into medium bowl (or mash with a potato masher).
- In large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over low heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until garlic is softened but not browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add mashed tomatoes, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer while you brown eggplant.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in tomato mixture and reduce heat to low. Cover loosely with foil and simmer until eggplant is very tender, about 8 minutes. Add beans and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil, salt and pepper.
- Shortly before sauce is ready, add penne to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Place penne in large warm serving bowl. Add eggplant mixture and enough reserved cooking water to moisten and toss to coat. Serve immediately, sprinkled with pine nuts.
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating5 people
Looks wonderful. I like eggplants.bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
Thank you for bringing this to the Round Table Joymarie, your Penne With Eggplant White Beans And Tomato Sauce Recipe is a great example of Italian American culinary dinning.The details like toasting the pin nuts and reserving some of the pasta wate...moretrigger in loved it
Comfort Foods775 members
Grandma Junes Kitchen85 members
Vegetarian Food Lover425 members
Everyday Chefs68 members
Garlic Lovers460 members
Simple Vegan169 members
Family Favorites141 members
Frugal Pantry Cookers187 members
Checkins Round Table39 members