Red Beans And RiceFrom sara 7 years ago
- 1 pound red kidney beans, dry shopping list
- 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- 1 bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 5 ribs celery, diced shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- ½ pound diced smoked ham shopping list
- ½ pound Andouille sausage shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- Tabasco sauce shopping list
- worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1-2 teaspoons creole seasoning shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 3 cups hot steamed white rice shopping list
How to make it
- Soak the beans overnight. When ready to cook, drain the beans and replace with fresh water. Place over high heat until the pot comes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer over medium heat until the beans are tender but still solid, about 45 minutes to an hour, then drain.
- While the beans are cooking, sauté the onions, celery, and bell pepper until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. After the beans are boiled and drained, add the sautéed vegetables to the beans, then add the diced ham, sausage, thyme, bay leaves, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce, Creole seasoning, and just enough water to cover.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook for 2 to 3 hours, until the flavors have blended and the beans have softened. Stir from time to time to be sure that the beans do not stick to the bottom. They should break down and start to get creamy. Adjust seasonings as you go along. Serve hot over freshly steamed long grain white rice.
The Cooksara Atlanta, GA
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!