Black Forest CakeFrom bitsyskitchen 6 years ago
- 1/3 cup sifted cake flour shopping list
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 2 tsp. cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 4 large eggs, separated shopping list
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
- Whipped Cream: shopping list
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. cherry brandy or water shopping list
- 3 cups heavy cream shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
- Filling and Garnish: shopping list
- 1 can (17 ounces) pitted cherries, drained, juice reserved shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. cherry brandy, optional shopping list
- Grated semisweet chocolate shopping list
- maraschino cherries shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan. Dust with flour and tap out excess.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat together egg yolks, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and vanilla at medium speed until thick and pale. Sift flour mixture over yolk mixture. Fold in flour mixture.
- Using clean beaters, beat egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly beat in remaining sugar until stiff, but not dry, peaks form. Gently fold in yolk mixture. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack to cool completely.
- To prepare whipped cream, in a saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over brandy (or water if used). Let stand until softened, 5 minutes. Stir 1/3 cup of cream into gelatin mixture. Heat over low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in remaining cream. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Beat cream mixture at medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- To prepare filling, in a small saucepan, boil reserved juice until reduced by half. Add brandy.
- Using a serrated knife, cut cake horizontally into 3 layers. Sprinkle one layer with some cherry syrup. Spread with 1/4 of the whipped cream. Top with half of the canned cherries; press in gently. Repeat with second layer, syrup, whipped cream, and cherries. Top with remaining layer.
- Frost top and sides of cake with some whipped cream. Spoon remaining whipped cream into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Press grated chocolate onto sides of cake. Pipe rosettes over cake. Top each rosette with a cherry. Store in fridge.
The Cookbitsyskitchen Beautiful Coast, CA
The Rating2 people
You make so many great cakes. Black forest is still my favorite.
Michaeltrigger in loved it