french bread roundFrom rcragun 7 years ago
How to make it
- Place dough ingredients in a bread maker, select dough setting, and press start. (If you don't have a bread maker, use a kitchenaid type mixer or mix by hand until well-mixed.)
- When the dough cycle ends, the machine will beep. You can leave the dough in the machine or put it in a mixing bowl. Either way, the dough needs to be covered (if in a bowl, with a wet dish towel) and put in a warm place - about 90° F. (I usually put the bowl in another bowl filled with hot water to raise the temperature.) Set a timer and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour.
- After an hour, punch the dough down and knead a few times. Reset the timer and let the dough rise for another hour.
- After the second hour, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured baking stone. Form into a smooth round ball then flatten it with your hands.
- Lightly butter the dough. With a very sharp knife held almost parallel to the loaf, carefully slash the top of the dough at sharp angles in a # pattern.
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Place a small pan on the bottom shelf of the oven and add at least 1 cup of water to the pan. Place dough in oven and bake for 30 minutes (or until complete).
- (Note: To preserve the crisp crust, do not store in plastic wrap or bag. Bread can be loosely covered or left out for up to two days before it dries out completely.)
The Cookrcragun Tampa, FL
The Rating3 people
"Grate" lookin' loaf you have there. Absolutely love crusty bread for dippin' this will be bookmarked and made very soon. Have a terrific day~NYMnotyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
always looking for different bread recipes. i only bake our bread here in the country. will keep this for tomorrow 's bread baking. thankstinadunlap in Greenwood loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!