Country As Country Gets Chicken and DumplingsFrom chefjeb 8 years ago
- 1 plump chicken, or go to grocery store and get one large fryer or 4-6 breasts or equal amounts of chicken parts of your choice. shopping list
- celery shopping list
- carrots shopping list
- onion shopping list
- 1 bay leaf. shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- Dumplings shopping list
- 2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 4 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 cup shortening shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup milk shopping list
How to make it
- Boil chicken with a couple of carrots, some celery, onion and bay leaf. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook chicken until very tender. Remove and strain stock, Reserve and set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients, cut in shortening until dough forms pellets. Add milk and mix until dough holds together. Add small amount of flour if needed. Knead gently obout 12 -14 turns and roll thin to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Bring stock to simmer
- Cut in strips and drop into simmering stock. Do not crowd.
- Dumplings will take about 10 minutes to cook.
- Optional: Black pepper to taste.
- Stir chicken back in or serve chicken as a side
The Cookchefjeb Carthage, MS
The Rating8 people
This is the recipe I've been looking for. When my Grandmother passed , My Mother got her dumpling recipe and lost it ( a travesty ). This is just how she made hers, a plump non laying hen and all. Thank-you soooo much!!!helewes in Newton loved it
Terrific...are you sure your not related to my Grandmother;>)?.... this was comforting and really lip smackin.helewes in Newton loved it
I was so happy to find a chicken and dumplings recipe that uses strip dough. To me this is more southern and to my liking versus raised. Thanks.msbooch75 in Ocean Springs loved it