Honey Polenta Cake With Flaked AlmondsFrom tippystclair 5 years ago
- 5 oz carrots, sliced shopping list
- 7 oz dried apricots shopping list
- 6 1/2 oz orange juice shopping list
- 2 baking apples, grated shopping list
- 4 1/2 oz unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 3 oz plain wholemeal flour shopping list
- 5 oz quick-cook polenta (or cornmeal) shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 2 oz chopped walnuts shopping list
- 3 medium eggs, beaten shopping list
- 1 orange, zested shopping list
- 1 lemon, zested shopping list
- 2 Tbsp honey shopping list
- A few drops of vanilla extract shopping list
- 4 oz slivered or sliced almonds shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350C.
- Grease an 8 inch round cake pan, or line with baking paper.
- Cook carrots in boiling water until just soft, then drain.
- Simmer apricots with orange juice for 5-7 minutes until they begin to plump up and soften.
- Remove 8 of the apricots from the pan and set aside to be chopped.
- Simmer the remaining apricots for 5 more minutes until completely soft.
- Add the cooked carrots to the pan with the apricots (but not the reserved apricots) and orange juice and puree with a hand blender.
- Add the grated carrots and butter and puree again until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, polenta and baking powder.
- Add to the puree, along with the walnuts, eggs, orange and lemon zest, honey and vanilla extract.
- Mix and blend until smooth.
- Add a few drops of water until the mixture drops off a spoon when lifted.
- Chop and fold in the 8 reserved apricots.
- Spoon into the prepared cake pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with the slivered almonds.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let stand for a few minutes, then tip on to a wire rack to cool.
The Cooktippystclair North Hollywood, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!