Chicken StockFrom scearley 10 years ago
- 4 to 5.5 pounds of chicken pieces (backs, necks, wings, legs, thighs), or one whole roasting chicken shopping list
- 16 cups cold water (or more if needed to just cover) shopping list
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 stalk of celery, coarsely choppd shopping list
- bouquet garni shopping list
How to make it
- Put chicken and water in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer, skimming off any scum that rises to the surface, for about 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer, uncovered, abotu 3 hours, adding water as neede to keep ingredients covered.
- Strain into a clean pot or heatproof plastic container.
- Cool quickly (uncovered) by putting the pot into an icewater bath.
- Refrigerate until ready to use
- Remove any fat congealed on the top before using.
- Makes roughly 12 cups.