Stuffed Chicken with LeeksFrom vino4dino 5 years ago
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) fryer chicken, including liver and giblets shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 4 tablespoons plus 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 large leeks, cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 pound salami, diced shopping list
- 1/4 cup grated caciocavallo shopping list
- 2 cups white wine shopping list
- 3 tablespoon. dried currants shopping list
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts shopping list
How to make it
- Season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper.
- In a 12 to 14-inch sauté pan, heat 4 tablespoons of oil until almost smoking. Add the leeks, liver, and giblets and cook 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the leeks and liver to a medium bowl and giblets to a cutting board, chop giblets and add them to the bowl. Add the salami and the cheese, mix well, season with salt and pepper, and stuff the bird with the mixture.
- Cut a length of butcher's twine 18 inches long. Secure the wings and legs with the twine and tie the legs together, to seal in the stuffing.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the remaining oil over high heat until just smoking. Place the chicken in the pan and brown all sides well, a process that takes about 10 minutes. Add the wine, currants and pine nuts and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to an active simmer, adding wine when necessary, for 1 hour, turning carefully every 15 minutes. Remove, carefully cut off the string, and carve the chicken into portions.