Savoury Asparagus and Bacon TartFrom inmaculada 7 years ago
- 1 uncooked pie pastry shell OR 1 uncooked pastry sheet shopping list
- 1 medium leek (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 lb medium asparagus, trimmed shopping list
- 6 bacon stripes, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh tarragon shopping list
- 2 teaspoons water shopping list
How to make it
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook asparagus in a wide 4 to 5 quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer asparagus with tongs to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking, then drain and pat dry. Cut off and reserve tips (leave more stalk if asparagus is thin), then thinly slice stalks crosswise.
- Cook bacon in a 10- to 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat until crisp, then add leek with 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in sliced asparagus and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and remove from heat.
- Whisk together cream, 2 eggs, tarragon and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spoon the asparagus mixture into shell, spreading evenly. Pour cream mixture over asparagus.
- Bake tart until filling is just beginning to set but still loose on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Scatter asparagus tips over top, pressing lightly if necessary to help them settle into filling, then continue to bake until custard is golden and just set but still slightly wobbly in center, about 30 minutes more (custard will continue to set as it cools).
- Cool tart on baking sheet on a rack until warm, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into wedges.
- NOTE: I used an uncooked pastry sheet for my tart and had enough to make the regular tart plus a small one.
The Cookinmaculada Palma De Mallorca, ES
The Rating2 people
Comfort Foods770 members
Mediterannean Cuisine135 members
Spanish And Hispanic Food142 members
Anything Goes286 members
Breakfast Recipes123 members
Eat Those Veggies85 members
Frugal Pantry Cookers186 members
Companys Coming115 members
Friends In The Kitchen314 members
The Unbroken Circle44 members