BUTTERNUT SQUASH CIDER BISQUEFrom c2max 5 years ago
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 large onion, diced shopping list
- 1/2 large carrot, diced shopping list
- 1 stalk celery, diced shopping list
- 2 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced shopping list
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, rinsed shopping list
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned chicken broth shopping list
- 2 cups apple cider shopping list
- 2 cups heavy cream, apple cider, or chicken stock (use only one item) shopping list
- salt and black pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the onion, carrot, and celery until the carrot and celery are soft and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and thyme and sauté until all of the vegetables are coated with oil, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and the 2 cups of cider and simmer until the squash is very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Puree the mixture, in small batches (a blender on medium speed or food processor or immersion blender will work).
- Place the pureed mixture into another pot (I use a crock pot if I know I’ll be traveling or leaving the soup on all day to serve whenever desired). Stir in one of the following: cream, cider or stock to achieve the desired consistency. Add the salt and black pepper. Heat gently through.