Cranberry Chocolate Souffle CakeFrom crabhappychick 7 years ago
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped shopping list
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped shopping list
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 7 eggs, extra large, separated, room temperature shopping list
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon shopping list
- 1/3 cup Grand Marnier shopping list
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled shopping list
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 3 cups cranberries, fresh shopping list
- 1 tablespoon orange zest shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1/8 tablespoon allspice shopping list
How to make it
- For poached cranberries: Bring sugar and water to boil in heavy medium saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add all remaining ingredients. Simmer until cranberries pop, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand in syrup overnight.
- For cake: Preheat oven to 350. Butter and suggar 9" springform pan with 1 1/2" high sides. Melt both chocolates and butter in top of double-boiler over simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove from over water. Combine yolks with 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar in large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. On low speed, gradually beat in Grand Marnier. Add chocolate mixture and stir until just incorporated. Using electric mixer fitted with clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until mixture is stiff, but not dry. Gently fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake until top forms crust, but inside is still moist, about 45 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack. (Cake may fall while cooling. No problem.)
- For chocolate cream: Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from over water and cool until just warm to touch. Whip cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold chocolate into cream. Fold in Grand Marnier.
- Assembly: Place cake on platter; remove pan sides. Spread top of cake with 1 1/2 cups chocolate cream, leaving 1/2" border around edge of cake. Top with Poached Cranberries. Spoon remaining cream into pastry bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe cream decoratively around top edge of cake. (Can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Refrigerate. Let cake stand for about 1 hour at room temperature before serving.)
- NOTE: Its a lot of work, but well worth it. Scrumptious and gorgeous! Maybe good to take along for dessert to somebody else's house when you can devote your time to just the dessert.
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating1 people
This recipe sounds amazingly yummy! High 5 all the way!lor in Toronto loved it