Glorious Garlic And Hot Pepper JellyFrom auntybea 6 years ago
- 1/2 cup peeled and sliced firm, juicy garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 4 cups sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar or Japanese rice vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper; or to taste shopping list
- 1 3-ounce pouch liquid pectin, or half a 6-ounce bottle shopping list
How to make it
- Puree the garlic with half of the water in a blender or food processor, running the machine until the texture is fine (the puree will be foamy). Pour into a large saucepan and add the second cup of water. Set over medium heat and bring to a simmer; simmer, stirring for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and skim. Measure out 1 3/4 cups of the puree, discarding any surplus, and return it to the pan.
- Stir in the sugar, vinegar, salt and hot pepper. Set over medium-high heat and heat, stirring, until the mixture boils hard (a rolling boil that cannot be stirred down). At once add the pectin, stirring, and bring again to a hard rolling boil. Start timing and boil for exactly 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Skim off any foam, then ladle the jelly into sterlized jelly glasses or half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/2 " of headspace in glasses and 1/8 " in jars. Seal the jelly in glasses with a film of melted paraffin; cover jars with sterilized two-piece canning lids following the manufacturer's directions. Cool the jelly completely, then cover jelly glasses with their lids. This jelly takes a few days to set, so don't plan on using it at once. Stored in a cool cupboard, it will keep for a year. Makes about 4 cups.
People Who Like This Dish 16
The Cookauntybea Vernon, Canada
The Rating7 people
yep, I don't think this would go too good with peanut butter....
I do believe it would be good on some grilled chicken!jett2whit in Union City loved it
Bea- another fantastic post! I'll be trying this in the fall! (can't imagine canning in an apartment in the summer :D )hollymayb in Baltimore loved it
Mmmm I think breakfast just got spicy.lovingmybabbyalways in Winchester VA loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!