Key Lime PieFrom scearley 10 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425
- Combine the sugar, 1 c of water, and the butter in a double boiler and heat until steaming (but not boiling)
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and remaining water to make a paste, and add to the sugar mixture.
- Add the zest and juice to the sugar mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks together with the milk.
- Add a small amount of the hot mix to the egg yolks and blend.
- Add the yolks to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes (until the egg flavor is gone).
- Remove from heat, cool slightly, and pour into an already-baked crust.
- Spread meringue evenly over the filling, careful to seal the edges.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the meringue is browned.