Cute Cherry Jam TartsFrom tippystclair 6 years ago
- 1 cup finely-ground cornmeal shopping list
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp finely ground sea salt shopping list
- 2 Tbsp baking powder shopping list
- 3 Tbsp sugar shopping list
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into 1/4-inch chunks shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups milk shopping list
- 1 egg, using just the egg white shopping list
- 1/3 cup cherry jam (or any flavor you like) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl or a food processor add the cornmeal, flours, salt, baking powder, sugar.
- Add the butter to the dry ingredients .
- Use a pastry cutter or 30-35 quick pulses of the food processor, blend the mixture until it resembles tiny, sandy pebbles.
- Put mixture into a medium bowl and add 1 1/2 cups of milk.
- Stir with a fork just until everything is combined.
- (You are going to roll out the dough, so if it is too wet, stir in a couple extra tablespoons of flour, if it is too dry stir in an extra tablespoon or two of milk. )
- Don't overwork the dough or tarts will be tough. Stir only as much as you have to.
- Place dough onto a well floured surface.
- Shape into one large mound and roll out until it is about 1/3-inch thick. Pat with more flour if it is sticky.
- Cut dough with a medium cutter (about 2-inches across), then cut half the rounds with a slightly smaller cutter (about 1 1/2-inches) to make the outer edge rings of the tart.
- Brush the large rounds with a bit of egg white (this will give the tarts a golden color).
- Place the outer rings on top, brush with the egg white, and fill with a tablespoon or two of cherry jam.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes (a rimmed baking sheet is important to use because the tarts tend to have a bit of runoff and you want to prevent a mess in your oven).
- Makes about 1 - 2 dozen tarts, depending on the size of your cutters.