Lamb And Orzo Soup With KaleFrom bluegrasscox 7 years ago
- 2 1/2 POUNDS MEATY lamb shanks shopping list
- 4 CUPS water shopping list
- 4 CUPS chicken OR vegetable broth shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 TEASPOON SNIPPED FRESH oregano OR 1 TEASPOON DRIED oregano CRUSHED shopping list
- 1 1/2 TEASPOONS SNIPPED fresh marjoram OR 1/2 TEASPOON dried marjoram CRUSHED shopping list
- 1/4 TEASPOON black pepper shopping list
- 2 TWO MEDIUM carrots, CUT INTO THIN BITE-SIZE STRIPS (1CUP) shopping list
- 1 CUP SLICED celery shopping list
- 3/4 CUP DRIED ORZO shopping list
- 3 CUPS TORN FRESH kale OR spinach shopping list
- FINELY SHREDDED parmesan cheese (OPTIONAL) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large Dutch Oven combine lamb shanks, water, broth, bay leaves, dried oregano (if using) dried morjoram (if using), and pepper. Bring to boiling then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until meat tender.
- Remove lamb shanks from Dutch Oven. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones. Coarsely chop meat. Strain broth, discarding solids. Skim fat from broth.
- Return broth to Dutch Oven. Stir in chopped meat, carrots, celery, and orzo. Return to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until vegetables and orzo are tender. Stir in fresh oregano, fresh marjoram, and kale. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or just until kale wilts. If desired, sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese.
The Cookbluegrasscox Louisville, KY
- Not added to any groups yet!