No Refry Refried BeansFrom shawdowsmom 8 years ago
- 3 cups dried pinto beans, picked over and rinsed shopping list
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered shopping list
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic. (I use more.) shopping list
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional) shopping list
- 5 teaspoons of salt shopping list
- 1/3/4 teaspoons pepper shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cumin shopping list
- 9 cups water shopping list
- All ingredients are really optional, Except beans and water! Next time I may add coriander or oregano. shopping list
How to make it
- Mix all ingredients in a 4 quart or larger slow cooker pot.
- Stir well to mix.
- Cover and cook on high for 8 -10 hours.
- Stir when you think about it!
- Add more water, if needed, as beans cook.
- When beans are cooked, strain and reserve liquid.
- Place beans in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher until dersired consistency. Add cooking liquid as necessary.
- Do not use blender or processor unless you want puree.
- Serve, freeze, or procees in pressure cooker according to manufacturer's directions.
- **Prep time includes prep before and after cooking. I does not include cooking time.