Succulent TurkeyFrom leafy_epicure 7 years ago
- 2 cups kosher salt shopping list
- 4 stalks chopped celery shopping list
- 1 18-20 lb whole turkey (remove the neck and giblets) shopping list
- 1/2 c of melted butter shopping list
- 2 large peeled and chopped onions shopping list
- 4 peeled and chopped carrots shopping list
- 1 c dry white wine shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 sprigs thyme shopping list
How to make it
- Rub down your bird (inside and out) with kosher salt. Get a large stock pot and place your bird in it, and cover with cold water. Place this in your fridge (you will need to make room) to soak overnight for about 12 hours. Don't SKIMP on this step. It is key.
- Preheat your oven to 350F/175C.
- Now rinse off your bird and toss out the brine water.
- Take 1/2 of the melted butter and brush your entire turkey.
- Place the bird breast side down on a roasting pan and stuff cavity with half of the carrots, one onion, half the celery, bay leaf, and 1 sprig of thyme. Use the remainder of your veggies and thyme to scatter around the bottom of your pan. Finally cover this with some dry white wine.
- Roast this for 3.5-4 hours (until the internal temp of the thighs is 180F/85C. With about 1/3 of the roasting time left, turn your turkey so that it is breast side up and brush on some butter. Once you reach the end of the cook time, remove your bird from the oven and let it stand for 30-45 minutes before carving. As with all meats, if you carve too early, all the juices/flavors will leech out. I hope you enjoy this simple, but delicious holiday turkey recipe!
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookleafy_epicure Washington, DC
- Not added to any groups yet!