Stewed TomatoesFrom bluewaterandsand 6 years ago
How to make it
- To remove skins, wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until the skins begin to split. Then dip in cold water, slip off skins, core and remove any blemished or discolored parts. Cut into quarters or Leave tomatoes whole or cut in half or chopped.
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 10 minutes,stirring occasionally.
- Pack hot jars with hot prepared tomato mixture leaving
- ½-inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Wipe rim and screw threads and adjust lids and screw bands.
- Pressure Canner....Dial Gauge Type @ 11 pounds pressure or Weighted Gauge Type @ 10 pounds pressure.
- Pints 15 minutes
- Quarts 20 minutes
- After processing, remove jars immediately, place on a rack to cool.
- NOTE.... You can just use a big pot to boil the jars in, if you don't have a Pressure Canner.Boiling Water Bath.
- Pints 35 minutes
- Quarts 45 minutes
- Makes 6 pints
The Cookbluewaterandsand GAFFNEY, SC
The Rating3 people
I would love to stew my own tomatoes. My mom used to, she used celery instead of green peppers because dad#1 didn't like green peppers. Good stuff. Thanks.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
Mom never saved any of grandma's recipes for canning tomatoes. She said they never turned out! Now I have one! Thanksmorninlite in Kalamazoo loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!