Durian Ice CreamFrom lenora 8 years ago
- 4 to 6 segments fresh, frozen or canned durian, as needed to make shopping list
- 4 ounces durian paste shopping list
- 2 large egg yolks shopping list
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, or to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence shopping list
- 1 cup light cream shopping list
- 1 cup whole milk shopping list
How to make it
- Remove the seeds from the durian.
- Use an electric mixer to mix the flesh into a paste.
- Press the paste through a fine sieve. You should have 4 ounces durian paste at this point. (If not, use more durian).
- Chill the durian paste until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the vanilla essence and sugar.
- Bring the milk and cream to a near boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Pour in the egg mixture, stirring constantly to thicken. Take care not to let the mixture boil, or the milk will curdle (if you see bubbles forming at the edge of the saucepan, take it off the stove element).
- Allow the custard to cool.
- Chill the custard in the freezer for 30 to 45 minutes, until it is just beginning to harden.
- Gradually stir in the durian paste, a tablespoon at a time.
- Either continue freezing, stirring several times throughout, or finish the ice cream in an ice cream maker.
- This recipe was found on www.chinesefood.about.com